Service for elderly people




Last week I did help my mother to buy a new car. In a few months she will become 80 years old, so the roles are reversing. I.e. I am helping my mother as she did help me when I was a young boy.
She really needs that car as she is still doing quite a lot of volunteering work.

She did go by herself to the dealer of her current car (Toyota). Apparently the salesperson had one car, which he wanted to sell to her, and immediately gave her a quote. He totally didn’t ask her what she wanted and –more important- why she wants a new car. So, she came to me with the quote. And I asked her the questions, which a ‘normal’ salesperson was supposed to do. Then I did show her some other brands on the computer and we went off to some dealers.

At the Renault dealer the salesperson was very polite and especially very patient. He took a lot of time to explain to my mother and was totally not pushy. So, we planned to have a test-drive the next morning. On our way out, there was a car which caught my mothers’ eye and she immediately ‘fell in love with that car’ as my mother said. This was an occasion and not a new car. The salesperson was very flexible and planned a test-drive in this car (instead of in the new car) the next morning.

Then we did go to the Peugeot dealer to see another car. In the showroom there was nobody who greeted us although there were plenty of people. I even saw a salesperson sitting behind his desk, but took no action at all. So, we quickly had a look at anew car and left. My mother didn’t like it all as she said that those people were totally not interested in her.

The next day, we had the test-drive and again the salesperson was very patient and made my mother feel very comfortable and not nervous. You would say t’ big deal’, but imagine that you are 80 years old and test-driving a ‘strange’ new car. That did even make me nervous, as I was sitting in the backseat. My mother liked the car very much and she was very excited, so she did buy the car!

These are three examples of salespeople dealing with elderly people. If you are aware of this very large (and growing) target group then you will have to make sure that you can relate to the needs of these elderly people. Otherwise you will miss a large opportunity, as many of these people have enough funds to buy new cars.


Is your service tailored to elderly people?


Enthusiasm drives Excellence!


Featured in Alltop

Popular posts from this blog

10 most common leadership shortcomings and how to resolve them

Do you feel like you’re running around in a straitjacket?

AMAZON’S Backlog in Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company